The Planning Committee had a great, productive meeting this week! Our discussion has helped to solidify the approach to this Symposium, and we would like to share our statement of purpose and our objectives with you:
The Pittsburgh area is home to many varied people and organizations doing important and interesting work in Haiti. While this situation allows for the fostering and implementation of diverse ideas and projects, it can also lead to problems such as duplication of efforts and donor fatigue.
The Pittsburgh Haiti Symposium will be a venue to find ways in which we can work together to make more of a difference as a community, as organizations, and as individuals. We will collectively identify and explore the complex issues so that we can all come away from the Symposium with new ideas, potential partners and collaborators, and enhanced communication among organizations.
The Symposium will:
- Create an space to discuss complex issues faced by Pittsburgh-based organizations working in Haiti.
- Identify opportunities, overlap, and gaps in the community to maximize impact and minimize waste while meeting new and existing challenges.
- Increase public awareness of (and interest in) Pittsburgh’s presence in Haiti.
- Provide opportunities for collaboration.
- Showcase each organization’s projects and plans.
- Set the stage for future communication and collaboration through face-to-face meetings and online social media.